Re: [T3] Oil forced out of breather

On 6 May 2004 at 17:47, Dave Hall wrote:

> > The problem I have with this is that it assumes that we can have suction at
> the
> > VC gasket (otherwise air wouldn't get sucked in) at the same time that we have
> > pressure at the breather (where oil mist is getting blown out.) Since we're
> > just talking about the pressure in two different parts of the same chamber, I
> > think this would be hard to defend.
> >

> If the breather vents into the air cleaner suction, that would give a pressure
> difference, surely?  (and please don't keep calling me Shirley.  ;-)  ).

Yes, but not much.

> If the crankcase is below atmospheric due to the intake suction, and an air leak
> develops in the rocker cover due to a slipped gasket, won't air tend to flow
> through the crankcase to the air cleaner?

No, because the flow is toward the intake manifold, not toward the air cleaner.
Even though there will be a very small vacuum at the air cleaner intake, the
vacuum at the intake manifold is much greater at all times.

> If this moves the oil mist with it, won't that result in oil ending up
> in the air cleaner channels, and maybe some in the condensate tube?  If
> so, some of the oil could leak out through the flap in the air cleaner
> or the tube valve.

There might be some very small amount of flow in thru the gasket break and
right out the rocker box vent to the air cleaner intake, but there would be
very little pressure drop, so not much flow. Still, there can be a lot of oil
mist in the rocker box, so this might carry some oil with it. I don't think
these engines have an air cleaner flap and I'm sure they don't have a tube
valve (assuming you mean the rubber cap on the draft tube that saw it's last
use in '67.)

> I'm just trying to work out why VW issued a bulletin to all VW garages worldwide
> with the warning that an ill-fitting RC gasket can cause oil loss from the
> engine in Types 1, 2 and 3 and the industrial engines.

It almost seems more likely to me that the oil loss would be right at the VC.
But do I understand correctly that VW says that it will come out the breather?
Odd, because the only exit from the breather is into the intake manifold.

Now I wonder if we're debating the same thing. I thought the question was about
72-3 engines, but if it is about all engines, then there's certainly more
chance for a problem.

> Another bulletin (Nov. 1972) says they are fitting ignition coils made by Lucas
> to some Type 1, 2/1600 and 3 vehicles except 3/1600 E (injection) on the
> production lines.

Why do the Brits drink their beer warm?    ;-)

> I have an idea what Russ will suggest as a reason - probably something rude
> about our worthy long-standing UK manufacturer of auto-electrical items - but
> apart from not wanting to give him a  reason to be rude  :-) , why would they
> exclude the Type 2/1700 and the Type 3/1600E (injection) when they claim the
> coils are fully interchangeable?

Perhaps they just picked a few assembly lines at random. Sometimes there's no
particular meaning behind something like this: Sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar....