Re: [T3] fresh air motor and some spring cleaning

On 6 May 2004 at 15:01, Steven Ayres wrote:

> => The plastic screen was discontinued by '68
>
> I think we've been over that before, come to think of it. You're the guy
> with the parts book, but I find it odd that VW would take this off and not
> replace it with *some*thing, as it's such an obvious leaf-catcher. In any
> case, for you late-model owners, Im sure you can cover those boxes with
> window screen or whatever. The original screen was a flat molded oval,
> simply clamped in place between the box seal and the body. It's pretty
> simple to wrap new screen over with something to tension it, then install
> the box.

At least thru '66 the louvers were recessed in a kind of depressed oval in the
panel in front of the windshield.  The way I look at it, this oval depression
tended to collect extra debris so VW added the screen, which was just pinched
in there like Steve says.

By '68 the depressed oval was gone, and so was the screen. I suspect that '67
was the same as '68, but can someone verify that?

The air boxes from 68 to 70, and maybe 67, were molded plastic, and had a
molded plastic screen grid as part of the airbox.

When the completely different system was introduced in '71, the whole design
concept changed. There is no longer a way that you can simply clamp a piece of
screen up against the underside of the louvers. The only place you can do this
is about 6" away from the louvers and almost completely out of sight. It's not
clear that it would be helpful. You'd really have to look at one of these late
systems to see the difference.