Re: [T3] Steering box or Steering damper

On 6 May 2004 at 20:41, Ben Doughney wrote:

> On 06/05/2004, at 2:21 PM, Steven Cooper wrote:

> > rather the steering wheel's center position changes if I pull on it
> > hard on
> > it eg when parking.  It doesn't seem to move during normal
> > driving.(less
> > than 1" of steering wheel travel before wheels move)

> I have the same problem on my '65. I have even put high tensile bolts
> on the two clamps on the steering shaft and done them up real tight
> with no change. I haven't been able to figure where the play is
> happening.

I wonder if this could be caused by the steering box cover bolts being not
quite tight enough? I could imagine a case where these would be tight enough to
hold the cover still most of the time, but extreme force might move the cover
to the other extreme.

There's also an adjustment in the top cover. The locknut for that screw would
have to be tight, but I think that if that were a bit loose it would work
completely loose and give play all the time.

I can't imagine the shaft coupling splines ever getting loose enough to cause
such a problem, as all the ones I ever see here are so tight that I can't even
get them apart even after the clamp bolt is completely out.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org