Re: [T3] cold start behavior - update

On 6 May 2004 at 4:40, type3@comcast.net wrote:

> OK - sounds good.  I like ideas to try.  Have I seen this thing and just dont know what i'm looking at?
>
> Where is this?

It's mounted to the body, not the engine. It actually hangs upside down from
the underside of the rear "floor" just outboard of the #3 spark plug. It has a
4 connector wire connection that you need to be careful with as well as a
vacuum hose connection.

The engine end of that hose connects to a nipple on the underside (for most
years) of the intake air distributor, and can be quite hard to get installed,
because there's no room for your fingers in there. To check that it's actually
connected, just pull lightly on it but not hard enough to pull it off.

What year do you have.

Another thing you should check:

When you get in the car and turn the key ON, do you hear a relay click and then
about 1 second later a second click? You should hear BOTH distinct clicks. Do
you?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org