Re: [T3] Type 3 A/C System

On 3 May 2004 at 22:01, Brent  Johnson wrote:

> I've been talking to a guy in Arizona whom has a complete AC system for
> a Type 3.  He was selling it on eBay last week, I was the only bidder,
> and didn't meet his reserve price ($300).  I've been going back and
> forth on buying it, but would like the opinon from some Type 3 experts
> out there on whether it would be a sound purchase or not.  Thanks in
> advance!

It may seem good to you, but your engine will hate it. It puts extra heat load
on the engine at a time when it can least afford it.

You have to cut the pulley housing which lets the engine pull in hot air to try
to cool itself.

The air cleaner has to be offset to clear the compressor, so that usually the
engine ends up pulling in hot, poorly filtered air.

You have to cut holes in the body to install them.

Plus they make it virtually impossible to work under the dash.

Can you tell that I strongly dislike them?  ;-)