Re: [T3] turn signal/steering column

On 28 Mar 2004 at 13:55, Kevin Guarnotta wrote:

> When I use my turn signal to the left sometimes it works, sometimes it goes
> really fast(like a bulb is burnt out). When I turn it to the right it only
> works if I hold the arm in between on and off.

Have you walked around the car and verified that all 4 outside corners flash?

You may need to pull off the steering wheel and make sure that things in there
don't need to be cleaned or tightened. Make sure that all 4 small screws are
there, and snug.

> This leads me to believe that the problems are in the turn signal switch on
> the steering column. Is this something you usually replace or can it be
> taken apart and cleaned. I don't know if this is related or not, but the
> steering column is kind of loose, like I can wiggle it up and down.

Some play in the wheel and shaft is normal. The outside part, the column,
should not move appreciably. Which do you see move? I should have a couple of
complete '71 columns here if you need parts.