Re: [T3] FI on non-T3 engine in Square?

On 23 Mar 2004 at 16:19, John Benedetto wrote:

> I am continuing research on returning my '72 Square back to FI from the
> dual carbs the previous owner dropped in there...  I've purchased the
> Elfrink Fuel Injection manual, as well as finding stuff on the 'net (is
> *any* info on the D-jet applicable to our VW's, or so we need specific VW
> info?)

It's a worthy cause, but I recommend restoring it to a '71 or '73 if you have
the option, because that would avoid the difficult '72 timing proceedure and
expensive distributor advance can. There are only a few differences between a
72 and a 73.

> Can anyone answer me this:  How do I fit the Cylinder Head Temperature
> sensor to a non-T3 engine?  I was told the engine's out of a bus, but I
> have not yet found the case S/N (I looked where it's _supposed_ to be, and
> did not see it there, near the parting line on front (front is front) of
> the engine, on the right side.)  Time to start taking things apart until I
> find it, I guess!

Is it an early (type 1) bus? If so, then I think the S/N is on the rear face of
the breather flange. It's hard to see if there is a type 3 fan housing on
there.

I've heard that you can drill and tap one of the cooling fins above the #4 cyl
to fit the sensor in, but I don't know how well that works. It clearly won't be
at quite the same temp as the OE boss, but it will be better than nothing.

The best solution would be to find an original pair of good type 3 heads. You
should also look about the #2 cylinder, because that's where type 1 FI beetles
put it. If it's there, you could either swap sides when you did a valve
freshening, or just leave it there and run an extension wire.