[T3] List Netiquette

Since list traffic seems to be slow, I thought this might be a good time for me
to mention once again some of the things we like to encourage each other to do
when posting to the Type 3 list. While some of these things certainly do take a
little bit more of your time, keep in mind that they affect the list email
received by ~400 people worldwide who will appreciate your effort.

1) If you're responding to a previous message, use the previous subject line
and quote enough material to make it clear what you're responding to. If you're
NOT responding to a previous message, make sure that you add a new subject
line, and don't quote any old material.

2) Don't quote more material than necessary. Excess quoting just clutters the
archives, consumes web server space, slows down the archive index, and wastes
internet bandwidth. Keep in mind that those "few extra lines" get saved (again)
"forever" in the archives and get reposted to 400 listees, so it is not as
insignificant as it may seem to you at first.

Also, I realize that it may just be my personal preference, but I hate to see
scroll down first to see what is being responded to and then scroll back up to
see the response. If you think that it will be clear what you are responding to
without reading the quoted material, then perhaps no quoting was necessary in
the first place. Writing your responses at the top also tends to encourage not
editing the quoted material at all, which frequently leaves rediculous amounts
of quoted material at the bottom.

Remember, if you haven't scrolled down to the bottom of your response before
you send it, then there is probably a lot of material there which is irrelevant
and could easily and appropriately be deleted at this stage.

Yes, it IS worth your time to edit the quoted material in your response so that
it is concise and takes up as little space as possible. All the rest of us out
here will appreciate your effort.

3) If your post is a long one, Internet email convention is to separate
paragraphs with an empty line (just an extra carriage return.) This allows all
the various email programs to recognize the new paragraph and avoids paragraphs
that appear to all run together. Some programs like to start paragraphs with an
indent. While this style actually causes no problems on its own, it usually
includes no blank lines between paragraphs, which DOES cause problems, simply
because most programs don't handle it well.

Double line-spaced posts also cause problems, because most email programs will
interpret each line as a new paragraph so the line wrap will get confused. Your
post will all get thru, but it will appear "screwed up" (that's the technical
term) for most listees. Remember, not everyone uses the same email program.

4) To conserve list space, Greg has wisely chosen to prohibit list posts in
HTML and messages with attachments. List messages should be in ASCII (simple
text) form, no RTF, or (God forbid) MS Word or Works, Word Perfect, WordStar,
etc.) Some email programs now come with HTML set as the default. For many
reasons, if you are using one of these, you should turn it off for everyone,
not just the Type 3 list.

5) When responding to a message there is no need to send copies to the type 3
list AND to the original author! Obviously, if the originator sent the message
to the list then they will also be receiving your response from the list.  By
including them in the "To:" list all you are doing is giving them duplicate
email.  Please make sure you edit your "To:" addresses accordingly.

6) And finally, when you send a message to the list which is on a NEW topic,
PLEASE send it with a NEW subject line and NO quoted material.

Thanks for reading, and hope to see all of you in Hershey for the '04 Type 3
Invasion.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org