Re: [T3] Rather nice Fastback on ebay

<x-flowed>On Saturday, March 20, 2004, at 07:55  AM, Jim Adney wrote:

On 19 Mar 2004 at 21:32, Scott Taylor wrote:

Did you read the story about the engine? Interesting. It's a real shame
he didn't appreciate what he'd found.

Yeah, the car was a 67 so there were probably a set of dual carbs with it when
he got it. Too bad he opted for the crummy center mount single carb as an
"upgrade."

Just another example of someone who pays too much attention to the ads in the
VW mags.

Yes, the carb is bad enough, but did you catch this part?:

"The engine was bought from the Letourneau University automotive program, and has a story of its own. ÊThe engine was donated to the university by Volkswagen to be used as a test stand engine so students could see how to diagnose the Bosch fuel injection system. ÊThe relays and computer were broken out on display, so you could see how everything worked. ÊThe engine is a 1968 model that was brand new. ÊThe paint on the heater boxes was not even burned off yet! ÊThe engine supposedly had less than 10 hours of demo time on it when it was retired to a holding garage were it sat for over 20 years until I bought it. ÊThe engine cranked right up and ran beautifully the first time I gave it power, new oil, and fuel. ÊFor my application, I swapped from the fuel injection to a Progressive Weber carburetor in order to try and keep the car's mechanical means as close to stock as possible. ÊSo the engine in this vehicle has the same mileage that is displayed on the rebuilt odometer. ÊThis factory engine truly has only 1734 miles."Ê

I especially like the part about using the Weber "to try and keep the car's mechanical means as close to stock as possible." No clue whatsoever.

Scott
62 343