Re: [T3] Late automatic VS Manual Trans.

On 17 Mar 2004 at 16:37, Robert Carpenter wrote:

> Quick question, i know some of you have a later auto and was wondering
> is there pros and cons, are they reliable? How hard is it to obtain
> parts? or have them worked on if needed?

Assuming you're in the US, anything before 66 is going to be lots harder to fix
up, because 66 was the first year that these were officially imported into the
US.  In general, I think the later ones get better and better quality as VW's
experience with them grew, up thru the 71 model year. 72 is a difficult year to
tune up the fuel injection, and the build quality in 73 is lower, as if they
already knew they were never going to make any more.

> I may be buying a late square '69, but just wanted to hear from your
> automatic experiences.

That's the last of the early body styles, and the favorite year for many
people. The AT tends to be quite reliable, plus you get 12V, FI, and IRS all in
the classic body. The more original it is, the more valuable it is.