Re: [T3] new distributor

On 15 Mar 2004 at 13:04, Steven Ayres wrote:

> GarretT=> I also confirmed that the vacuum advance
> => is working using a strobe timing light and revving the
> => engine.
>
> You might want to just check maximum advance just to verify, but it seems
> pretty unlikely that you'd have problems with overheat due to too much
> advance with a vac-only distributor.

I agree with all of this and will add that sometimes the engine runs warmer
because it's been running too cool, due to wrong or non-functioning advance
mechanisms. SOMETIMES the warmer condition is the right one, but you're right
to ask how to you tell. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy answer for that.

> => Can anyone confirm whether the 7.5 degress BTDC setting
> => is correct for that distributor?
>
> You're probably correct. According to my references, the engine number
> matters rather than the distributor. Automatic and a few middle-period
> manual-trans T engines (T 0 690 000 - T 0 691 601) were timed at 0 degrees
> (why?), vac hose on; all the rest with manual trans, early and late, should
> be timed at 7.5 (plus correction for your altitude, if necessary), vac hose
> off.

The timing would have changed if VW changed distributors for these engines, or
because they had to change the timing for some engines to meet emissions specs
in some markets.

In general, you have to make sure that you have the right combination of carbs
and distributor then make sure that all the parts are working. Remember, we
found out awhile ago that not all our Solex carbs were the same: Some had
different vacuum ports and were made to work with different advance mechanisms.

I wonder how likely it is after all these years that many of you still have the
little VW part # tag on your carbs?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org