Re: [T3] Auto Tranny FAQ?

On 10 Mar 2004 at 8:22, garram1@swbell.net wrote:

> My nephew has a '72 Fastback with an auto tranny.  What's the best
> source of info for this tranny?  He lives in rural Illinois and doesn't
> have internet or e-mail access.  I'm going to try and find a clean
> Bentley for him but I was wondering if there is another source that I
> could try.  My only VW automatic experience was with a crappy '71
> Super Beetle and I know that the Super Beetle tranny is not the
> same as the T3.

The best info that I have seen is in the Bentley manual. You're right, the
beetle AT is completely different; it really isn't an AT at all.

Is your nephew having some problem with his AT? They are generally quite
reliable. I would only suggest that he check to make sure that the ATF and gear
oil levels are correct. The ATF can be checked from above, but the differential
is separate and must be checked from below; this is an important thing to
check.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org