[T3] 73 Fasty FI Question

I have a question about a possible 73 Fuel Injected Fast Back that I am
considering purchasing.  The car is currently in non-starting condition.
The owner said that when it ran, he experienced signifigant power loss (in
acceleration) and decided to replace the fuel filter.  After noticing
signifigant rust in the filter he decided to replace the (rusty) fuel tank.
He replaced the fuel tank and has been unable to start the car since.  He
believes that it might be injector trouble and has swapped a couple
injectors with used ones without any change.  It has spark, I believe it
might be fuel pump.  I have other VW's and have experience working on air
cooled. Is it worth my time to purchase this vehicle for $500?  Should I
switch to a carb. instead of FI?  Is FI in the Fasty as unreliable as
mechanics say it is?  Any/all info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Brodie
 Seattle