Progress! (wasRe: [T3] Flooding carbs)

Hi all,

Well, my engine seems to be running on 4 cylinders now. I think. At least,
cylinder 1, that wasn't working before, is working now.  The culprit was the
distributor cap. It was still the same one that I got with the car. As I
wasn't aware of any problem with it, I didn't change it. Maybe I should
have. Anyway, first I removed the seemingly non-functional spark-plug. It
was black, so I replaced it. At that point I was confident that I had found
the problem, until I started the engine and found it was still running on
three.

Since I had already tested the plug wire with a VOM metre and found a
resistance of 982 ohm (this is about right, right?) I then knew it had to be
the cap, so I replaced it and all is well.

The car runs much better now but feels like it needs a good tune-up, which I
will do on the weekend.  It feels like the timing is out, and the carb
adjustment. If it has been running on 3 for some considerable time, I
suppose this is logical.

BTW, apropos the whining noise. It is impossible to go any further with this
until I do something about my noisy speedo cable. It's so loud it hides all
other sounds.

Daniel