Re: [T3] Automatic <-> manual pan exchange?

On 6 Mar 2004 at 21:21, David Sanderson wrote:

> Well, we are about top make our first important decision on the
> restoration of the '65 Notch. I have an excellent pan but it came
> from an automatic. The pan is from a 68-70 model (not sure which).
> The owner, is a long-time VW aficionado and I guess that he knows
> what he is talking about but he told me that it would be more work to
> make the "conversion" to a manual pan because of the need to pull in
> a new clutch cable etc. However, it seems to me to be a relatively
> simple task. What am I missing here? Thanks.

The problem is that there is no clutch cable tube in that pan. If you have it
all apart then that may not be too hard to correct, but it will probably be
more work than you expect.

To install the tube, you'll have to weld the new tube to the bulkhead at the
rear where it exits, as well as to the inside of the tunnel in a couple of
places. I suspect that the latter will be the hard part, and you will have to
be careful that it gets welded into exactly the right position.

You should also verify that the '65 MT rear subframe that you have will fit on
the late pan. Some of the early AT pans used a slightly different shaped
subframe, but I don't know if it fit to the pan differently or not.