Re: [T3] FI Question

On 6 Mar 2004 at 20:25, PA Wong wrote:

> I'm having problems with my FI in my 71 Fasty.  The
> problem is a part that is NLA and is causing the car
> to not regulate the fuel mixture properly. My mechanic
> is recommending changing it to carbs.
>
> Do people advise doing this?  Should I hold out and
> search for the part?

It's possible that the part is no longer available new, but it is certainly
available used. Whatever it is, I probably have one and can sell it to you
cheaply.

It is also likely that your mechanic is less than familiar with your car and
your FI. MY guess is that he wants to replace a perfectly good part.

What are your symptoms and what does he want to replace? We can probably get
you all the help you need right here, and at very little cost.

I strongly recommed that you NOT switch to carbs. That's a long, difficult, and
expensive road, and you're not likely to be happy with the results. While all
early Type 3s came with carbs, and even some late ones (outside the US) most of
the carb setups you can buy today will take a lot of work to get them running
right on your car. It's MUCH more than a bolt-on proposition.

You might also want to tell us where you are, because there might be someone
close to you who could help.