Re: [T3] See we have rust on the west coast!

On 30 Jun 2004 at 17:12, T3 Junkie wrote:

> Still, the system introduced in '71 was much superior in every
> way.

> What is the difference in a 68 harness than a 71?
> To the best of my memory the harness is the same from 66/67-73
> It runs in side the cabin up against the rocker to the regulator and out to
> the rear behind the drivers rear fender.

As we've been discussing lately, the front section, next to the driver's seat
ran in a tube up until sometime around '65. After that it ran in a notch on the
inside corner of the driver's side rocker, covered by a cover plate.

To the rear of the voltage regulator, it ran in a tube to inside the LR fender
and then ran over the wheel arch, but still inside the fender and them punched
thru into the engine compartment from the left side. After the tube was
discontinued this path remained much the same until the middle of '71.

In the middle of '71, the whole harness broke out into the compartment where
the voltage regulator is, and punched rearward just under where the LR
passenger would have sat. From there it is attached under the cargo deck until
it comes thru the small body panel at the front of the engine compartment. This
puts it about 18" to the right of where it used to go, meaning that a crash
would have to almost completely destroy the car before it would reach that
harness.

So on cars from late '71-on you will no longer see a harness if you remove the
LR fender.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org