Re: [T3] fuel hose

On 23 Jun 2004 at 18:56, joshua brooks wrote:

> I find this bias against braided hose baffling.

There's almost no use of the German style rubber braided hose in OE equipment
any more. Since the almost universal application of higher pressure FI in most
cars, I thought everyone used something stronger. This means much less of a
market for those manufacturers who made such hose. I suspect that most of the
good brands may have left this market in favor of greener pastures today. This
would leave the market to the smaller brands which might not be as interested
in long term durability, since they didn't have to live under the OE 5-year
warrantee umbrella.

I had a similar problem here when I found that the nearly ideal Airequipt hose
that I had been using had been discontinued, and that Airequipt had no
substitute.

It's certainly possible that your shop found an exception, or just a supply
line where the hose was fresh, rather than hose which had wasted 2 years of its
life sitting on a shelf in a hot warehouse somewhere. It's also possible that
your shop used stuff that was just as bad as what everyone here is complaining
about, but that they just didn't know (or didn't care) that it wasn't lasting
as long as it should have. In other words, the fact that they used it doesn't
prove that it was good quality.

OTOH, I'm not convinced that the OE hose was all that good when our cars were
new. I had a fuel line break in my '68 squareback when the car was only 6
months old, in Aug of '68.

Can you tell us the brand of the hose that your shop used?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org