RE: [T3] charging system

Are there any books you recommend for the "green" type 3 enthusiast?
Eventually I would rather do all my work myself...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 6:52 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] charging system

On 16 Jun 2004 at 17:13, Amy Schaaf wrote:

> I am having problems with my charging system, mainly the voltage
regulator.
> My mechanic is telling me I should upgrade it to something else. What
could
> I do to up grade it or do you all think I should just keep working at
> getting a voltage regulator that is working correctly?

I don't know that there's any kind of upgrade that isn't some kind of scam.
However, the VRs DO wear out and need to be replaced periodically. I have a
charging system FAQ that explains how to test your charging system if you
have
some interest in learning to do your own work. I recommend that you do as
much
work as you can, just so you can come to understand as much of your car as
possible, leaving you less at the mercy of the mechanics.

That said, the best VRs for your car are the originals made by Bosch. The
part
# is 30-019. I stock them, as well as modified versions to which I've added
diode to make them last somewhat longer. The non-modified versions are also
available from any auto parts store that sells Bosch automotive parts.