Re: [T3] Picture of my generator problem.

On 7 Jun 2004 at 23:33, Mark Healey wrote:

> I figured that the way it was supposed to work was with a new belt all
> go inside.  As the belt wears you move them from the inside to the
> outside until you have zero on the inside and buy a new belt.

No. The shims are there to make up for dimensional tolerances in everything.
You have to adjust a new belt until it is "right", but generally, after that,
you will never have to adjust it again. I don't think I've ever had a correct
size belt that required all the shims be inside, but beetle belts are a bit
longer and can fool you into this.

Since the load on the belt is minimal (because it only has to drive the
generator and not the fan) the tension does not have to be high, so the wear is
minimal. In general, most people tend to install type 3 belts too tightly,
which accelerates belt and generator bearing wear, but squealing is generally a
sign of a belt that is too loose, so you probably need to tighten yours up just
a bit.

Type 3 belts tend to die of old age, not wear. I still have some original belts
running, and they are fine.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org