Re: [T3] Distributor rebuild

On 7 Jun 2004 at 0:02, Parker-Durost wrote:

>     I'm finally putting a stock dual carb vac. advance distributor back
> together.  It's been over year since I took it apart and I can't
> remember how it all went together.  Bentley is useless, but Elfrink has
> an exploded diagram, can someone confirm the order of bits (311 905 205G
> = '67)
> 1) drive dog, pin and spring "clip"
> 2) steel washer
> 3) fiber washer
> 4) distributor body
> 5) fiber washer
> 6) steel washer
> 7) shaft

Yes, that sounds right.

>     Regarding the dog, I drew a sketch when I disassembled it, so I can
> get it back on the same.  However, this doesn't seg. with the pg. 225
> and 226 pix in Elfrink.  The pix are 90 deg. off my shaft configuration,
> I couldn't install the dog like this if I wanted to.

Here's what I do; note that this is how the Bentley shows it, too.

Clamp the drive dog teeth downward into the top of a vise, with the LONG/WIDE
space away from you. Place the distributor, with all the spacers/washers in
place, in from above. Turn the dist shaft until the notch in the top (the
indexing notch for the rotor) is facing away from you and slightly to the
right.

Now look thru the drive dog ring and move the shaft around slightly until the
holes line up. Install the pin, making sure to get it centered.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org