Re: [T3] washer fluid hose

On 13 Jul 2004 at 8:21, Daniel Baum wrote:

> > As for the switches, they have to be plumbed a certain way. If you
> > reverse the connections they ALL leak.

> Now there's a piece of useful info that is missing from all the manuals.
> I didn't throw my old switch away, but on the other hand, I'm not going
> to take the new one out and test the old one.

Note that one side of the valve sees pressure 100% of the time, while the other
gets less pressure and only briefly, while pushing the button. The nipple
farthest from the dash panel will take the 100% pressure, but the nipple closer
to the panel has a second seal around the "valve stem" which will always leak a
bit if the hoses are reversed.

The 72-3 washer valves have the same problem, but are much harder to figure out
which should be the pressure side.

> Here is a pic of the hose.
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=32184

That's a part I've never seen before. Is there a part # on the central valve?

> And here is a pic of a whole kit, icluding the correct bottle for a Type
> 34, the cradle that holds the bottle and the weird hose. Is this what
> the early Type 3 used?
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=84417

That all looks different, too. The bottle is similar to the regular pre-68
bottle, but it's actually slightly different. I'm surprised at how much stuff
is included in that kit. Why so much? Did early type 34s come with no washer at
all, so this would be a complete parts set to add one on? I don't know any
other reason why anyone would want/need to replace EVERYTHING.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org