Re: [T3] washer fluid hose

On 12 Jul 2004 at 16:25, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I have now removed the electric pump and gone over to the authentic
> air-pressure system. How many of you can say that? I had to replace my wiper
> switch to get it to work properly. The first one leaked.

I think most people still have the original systems, the majority of those
probably have some problems, however.

As for the switches, they have to be plumbed a certain way. If you reverse the
connections they ALL leak.

> The Type 34, as far as I have been able to ascertain, didn't use the tyre to
> pressurise the bottle; you were supposed to pump it up to 35 PSI. This is
> what is shown in the Type 34 manual and it works extremely well. However, in
> the parts book there is a weird hose with a tyre valve on each end and some
> kind of gizmo in the middle, which was apparently for connecting the bottle
> to the tyre. It has a 311 part number. Does anyone use one of these?

I think that up to about '67 none of us used the spare for pressure. It was
only in '68 that we got the hose from the spare. The weird hose was probably a
way to adapt the early style system to use the spare for pressure.

The early system works well, but just not for long. Once you've used up about
half your fluid your pressure will be down by more than half, so the long term
performance suffers rather quickly.