Re: [T3] original brake hose ?

On 12 Jul 2004 at 8:51, Jones, Matthew wrote:

> I have just removed a brake hose from the rear of our fastback.
> It has the following stamped into the rubber (not printed on):
>
>   FAG SCHAFER 1/8 x4 73 SAE 0 1401
>
> Is that Original Equipment ?!

Yes. At least, this is most likely.

> All the replacements have their date of manufacture on them, so am I right
> in guessing that the '73' is when this hose was made?

I think so.

> It looks to be perfectly servicable. No visible cracks or perishing. I was
> only replacing it as a matter of course, since I 've been going through the
> whole brake system after the front calipers siezed.

Any problems you might have would be on the inside anyway. In general, I just
recommend replacing parts that have failed, rather than replacing things "just
because." Rubber hoses DO fail, but this is generally a matter of the inner
hose flaking off and forming a kind of check valve that keeps the brakes from
releasing. My test for this is to see if brake fluid drips freely from the
bleed valve at the wheel when opened.

While the rubber hoses do fail, the metal line down the center is a more common
problem. It rusts out under the pedal cluster.

Our calipers are notorious for seizing up, but occasionally the problem is not
the fault of the caliper, but rather of the rubber hose. At least in my
experience, it seems that front hoses fail much more often than rears. I've
probably replaced half a dozen front hoses and still haven't replaced a single
rear.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org