From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: 07 July 2004 17:44
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Engine Number and timing marks!!??

On 7 Jul 2004 at 14:43, Mike Smith wrote:

> I`m struggling to get the timing on my type 3 1500S model set exactly right.
> At the moment, it runs ok, but when accelerating, it occasionally `jerks` -
> not to noticably, but it should definitely be smoother.

It sounds like you may have an ignition problem. I think you need to check over
all the places where spark could jump to ground instead of across a spark plug,
and also check the distributor cam for wear or dirt. Make sure that you have
all the correct Bosch parts in there.

The dist cam needs to be lubricated just to keep things from wearing. I carry
the correct Bosch grease for this, and it should be wiped off an replaced with
clean grease at every tuneup to keep the old dirty grease from becoming like
grinding compound and eating away your cam.

> The pulley has one large notch to the left which i`ve taken as TDC and 3 evenly
> spaced smaller notches to the the right of this.  i`ve tried timing it whilst
> runnning for a maximum advance of 32 degrees, but the line was jumping around
> alot, so i`ve now done it statically and set it to the first line on the right
> and it is running ok, but like i said `jerking` a little. any advice would be
> great

The 4 notches are (L to R) TDC and 7.5, 10 and 12.5 BTDC. I don't know which
one is correct for your engine. Is it stable at the static mark when at idle?

> I think at some time it has had a replacement engine as i`ve checked the numbers
> against the birth certificate i have - the original is 0337358 the exchange(?)
> is N054729X

Yes, the X means an exchange engine, but I don't know what the rest of it
means. It's quite possible that it really is no longer a 1500S internally. It
is likely to be a normal compression 1500, or even a 1600. This makes
determining the proper timing a bit of a crap shoot, but making sure the max
advance never goes past 30-32 is a good start.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org