RE: [T3] square pop outs

On 7 Jul 2004 at 9:39, Jason W wrote:

>   Or you could of just 'kinda' put them in place as someone did with my car.
> Maiden voyage, chilling on the highway, its a hot day so me and my friend
> open the popouts, within 15 minutes, both went flying, luckily didnt or
> barely damaged the paint and mine havent been open since. Ive heard you can
> wrap the tab of the window frame with electrical tape to make it a little
> bigger then shove it in the slot in the body, i just havent tried, mine arent
> getting opened again, it freaked me out that bad.

Is this a fastback? In that case there is more to the attachment, but I'm not
very familiar with them. Do fastys even have the tabs at the front? I think
that fastys just have 2 little screws (or studs w/nuts) on each side and may
not have the tabs at all.

On a squareback you only have the tabs and slots at the front and the locking
brackets at the rear. Those should never fall out as long as the rear brackets
are screwed down correctly.

I make some rubber parts to go around the tabs to replace the original parts
that have disintegrated by now, but I don't think those are necessary to keep
the window in place. They DO keep it from rattling, however.

If you have a squareback where the windows came out even though the locking
bracket was correct, then my guess is that the PO bent the tabs when he was
installing them and they are now ruined. Frankly, I didn't think that was
possible.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org