Re: [T3] hinges and the "A" pillar

<x-flowed>On Monday, July 5, 2004, at 08:17 PM, daveb wrote:

The hinges are screwed into captive anchor plates inside the pillar
that allow some movement for door alignment. By tightening the screws
you're essentially clamping the inner hinge pillar sheet metal between
the hinge and the anchor plate.

Makes sense. So the door is only hanging by sheet metal clamped between the
captive plate and the hinge?

It may actually be more than one thickness of sheet metal there, but that's the basic principle.

I would think that whatever was captivating the anchor plate would be
somehow secured to the pillar and also clamped between the plate and the
hinge. Does anyone have any pictures of the pillar, a cross section or
cutaway view?

I can only find pictures of the outside of the pillar, sorry. I've never seen a section of an early hinge pillar so I don't know exactly what's retaining the anchor plates, but I'd suspect a stamped metal piece welded behind the inner pillar.

I replaced the the screws a few years ago. The screws and threads are all
in great condition. The hinges work fine.

Could it be rust or metal fatigue? Broken welds inside somewhere?

Scott
62 VW1500 KG