Re: [T3] case stud

On 4 Jul 2004 at 18:20, Lk Che wrote:

> i was wondering if the stud in the case that holds the maniforlds is
> threaded onto the case, or if itsin it. the reason i ask is because im
> putting dual weber icts and i cant get one nut off of the left single
> carb manifold because the nut is stripped and is half gone ive tried
> wratchetd, wrenches, and vice grips, and plenty of penetrating oil. im
> thinking of cutting the stud off but will that be too troublesome?

If you're talking about the stud that holds the manifold to the head, then yes,
it is threaded into the head, but in general they will break before they come
out.

If this is a single carb engine now, then I think it may be pretty pointless to
try to install a pair of big dual carbs on it.

I believe all the single carb engines came with single port heads. Even if you
can get manifolds to fit them to the single port head (and I think this is a
very long shot) you will find that the intake breathing is limited by the
intake port and that there will be little improvement in going to the dual
carbs.

Even if I've misunderstood, and this engine has dual port heads, then you are
still in for a long learning curve to get this running well. With no previous
experience at this, you are not likely to ever get it running even as well as
it now does.

Given the trouble you had with the shift lever, I suggest that you give serious
thought to learning a bit more about your car before you dive into this any
deeper. Getting the car to run well after a carb "upgrade" is much more than
just a bolt-on proposition and you're likely to be really disappointed in the
results. Most such conversions take a LOT of time and/or experience to get the
jetting right. They do NOT come properly jetted for your engine right out of
the box.

What year is this car?