From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 11:22 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Ignition setup for F.I. 69 Fastback

On 3 Jul 2004 at 22:27, Mark S.  Davis wrote:

> I want to come up with the most reliable and eficiant system I can. I
wanted
> to know if I can do away with the points? Also should I use original Bosch
> plug wires and plugs? I have a Bosch blue coil. Is that a good choice?
Also
> I want to go with a full flow oilsystem with a filter. I was looking at
one
> from Gene Berg. Good or bad idea?

Once you get a pointless system installed and working correctly it will be
great, but they are a tight fit in the type 3 distributor.

The OE SP wiresets have the best dist cap connectors that you will ever find
anywhere. Never throw those away. All the other parts can be replaced
individually, even the wires. I have wire here that I can sell by the foot.

Don't bother with the Bosch Blue coil. You don't need the advantage it gives
you, and the OE coil is more reliable.

The Berg full flow system is a good idea and a good product, but you really
need to be in the middle of a complete engine rebuild to install one in a
type
3.

> I am hoping to at least get road worthy in time for Hershey. One more
> thing I have a leaky rear main. Is that a huge problem?

It's only a huge problem if it goes suddenly bad on the way to/from Hershey.
This is a sign that it needs to be fixed. Fix it before you make plans to
take
it on the highway anywhere.