Re: [T3] Welding new rockers and such

> Im a neophyte gas welder but I can make out OK, its just that there is so
> much heat... was thinking MIG might be a better choice,  what do you think?
>
> Got the Crate project coming up next year!
>
> Keith

There are a few jobs where the instructions call for gas welding - you can see
where it's used on the body by the weld line.  You can generally get away with
MIG, though, and even imitate spot welding (plug welding in this case).   MIG is
much easier with our thin metal.  Clean metal is vital, and when you get the
feed rate and power adjusted nicely, it's very pleasing.  There are some
techniques that are well worth knowing, but most of the skill is through
practice.  We'll get a chance to chat about it over the next few weeks, I'm
sure.

I fully agree with the self-darkening face shield, though I've not afforded one
yet, and the proper gas.  You can get away with straight CO2, but it's messier
and less easy - that's why welders use the CO2/Argon mix.  It's all a balance of
enough power supplied to melt the feed wire plus enough of the wetal you're
joining to make a good joint.  In rust-thinned metal it's a guess how much metal
is there, until it blows through!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/