Re: [T3] Charging System Polarization

On 31 Jan 2004 at 12:26, Garret Trask wrote:

> I'm installing a new voltage regulator in my car, and I've come across a
> step in the Muir book to polarize the charging system.

It's good that you asked this question, because probably more damage is done to
VW charging systems by trying to repolarize them than by any other cause. It is
a confusing area and most people end up doing it wrong.

The good news is that REPOLARIZATION IS ALMOST NEVER NECESSARY.

In 35 years I have come across exactly ONE generator that needed to be
repolarized, and that was one where the owner had done something stupid which
had polarized it backwards.

May I suggest that you tell us what's wrong with your generator and why you
think repolarizing might help.

FYI, every time you start up your car the generator gets repolarized. There is
never any reason to simply refresh it. The only reason to repolarize is in case
the polarization has gotten accidentally reversed. It is difficult, under
normal circumstances to reverse polarize a generator. Polarization of
generators isn't lost even by decades of storage.

If you really need to repolarize, I'll be glad to send you my FAQ, which I
think gives good instructions on this.