Re: [T3] VW Fun Fact of The Day !

Keith wrote:
>Well, actually I meant modern era VW's but even the air cooled ones
>wont swallow valves if you dont use poor quality aftermarket parts or let
>the guides get too worn.

Yeah, I probably should have replaced some parts on it, since it was a 19
year old engine with stock OE parts in it (76 bug). It was probably my own fault
for driving it everyday and putting some 70+ miles per day on it, but it did
get regular valve adjustments and oil changes. The second engine did what it
was supposed to do, get me around until I had the first rebuilt. I only paid 45
bucks for the second one, as I got it from a Harley guy who didn't put all the
cooling tin back on it, then wondered why it ran hot (it had 87mm cylinders
too). But, after the second engine ate the same #4 exhaust valve, I decided to
run better fuel (premium) in ALL of my air cooled VWs, and it's been working
just fine since.

> Ill bet many of us have no idea how many miles are on our heads...
>and many are overdue for a refresh.

This part does apply to me though, as the engine in my Notch had unknown
miles when I got it used back in 1998, and I've probably only put another 12,000
on it since. I do know I need to get in there and do a rebuild, but it runs too
well for me to justify going in there. I do know that it has never been
opened up, so it also has genuine german VW parts inside it from 1973. My Square
has this same problem too, as I don't know when the PPO did a rebuild on it, but
it runs very well too. The rest of the type3s I have here I can look up and
see when they were done, and how many miles they've had put on them since their
rebuilds.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       71 Square, Now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen
at;http://photo.starblvd.net/bobnotch