Re: [T3] 72 squareback - Engine Fire

MattL=> Would I be better off converting this
=> engine to a carbureted setup, and if so what
=> would I need to change?

Speaking as a firmly committed Type 3 carb guy, I'd recommend you fix the
system you have rather than take on the considerable hassle and dubious
results of a carb conversion. The parts *are* available, and on this list.

=> do you think that is is necessary to dismantle and
=> rebuild the engine after a fire like this

That would be hard to project without seeing the damage, so maybe, maybe
not. You'll want to get someone who knows to examine it for cracks and
distortions.

If you can afford to have the engine rebuilt by someone who knows what
they're doing, it might be wise to go ahead and do that anyway, since you
don't know the condition of the engine before the fire. But if your
financial situation would require that you go to one of the cheapo suppliers
(GEX, for instance), you'll probably be better off cleaning up what you have
and hoping for the best.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600