Re: [T3] T3 Weekend work (shocks and carbs - long)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Wolfe" <russw@classicvw.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] T3 Weekend work (shocks and carbs - long)

> Mark is right, these sound like the float pivot rod, and the check ball
> and plug from the accelerator pump.
> The internal threads on the brass plug is the same as the screw that
> holds the tail light lens. I keep one in my tool box to pull that plug
> when cleaning the carbs.

I never knew that this plug was intended to be removeable- perhaps I should
pull mine and clean that part out- or not if it leads them to become loose
and fall out! I wondered why it was internally threaded though- now all is
clear!

> If you are missing the brass spring that holds the float pivot rod down,
> I have in a pinch whittled one from a piece of wood until I could locate
> another. Flush with the top of the bowl, and a notch on the bottom side
> to clear the float arm. The newer ones were plastic

Blimey! where did that spring disappear to?!? I have a strange image of Russ
sitting curbside, whittling a new carb float retaining spring from a birch
twig with his trusty leatherman, before continuing his journey with a
nonchalant grin ;-)

Mark