Re: [T3] not running

On 17 Jan 2004 at 17:23, orntar wrote:

> i found that the plugs i could get too were all different brands and
> gapped wrong. so i replaced them with some bosch i had laying around.

The right ones are W8AC.

> i couldn't get my socket onto no. 2, maybe something down in there?

Quite possible. Stick your finger down there, or use a mirror and flashlight.
Once you know what you're up against you can probably get it out with a long
nose pliers.

> and as for no.4, the po stripped the threads out and then put in a
> really long plug. (threads maybe twice as long as normal) this one
> threads in fine, but the shorter (correct ones) will not go in. is there
> a temp fix i can do to get the right plug in there?

The long threads might even reach in far enough to hit the top of the piston
when it comes up. You REALLY don't want to do that. If the long threads will go
in there then the short ones should, too. They are the same thread.

One vague possibility that you should keep in mind is that there are
aftermarket heads out there which REQUIRE the long thread plugs. You might want
to make sure that you don't have one (or two) of those heads. I only mention
this because I would have thought that a long plug in a regular head would have
been beaten up by the piston, and possibly damaged both the head and piston
already.

You ought to be able to gauge the thread length in the head with a wire bent so
it can hook inside the SP hole. That way you can reach inside and then touch
outside and look at the difference in the length of the wire. If you really
need long thread plugs the Bosch number will be the same except for the leading
letter. W stands for a 14mm thread 7/16" long, the long thread will be 3/4"
long. Maybe someone else will know the leading letter for a 14mm-3/4" thread
Bosch plug.