Re: [T3] repro rear cargo mat

On 12 Jan 2004 at 22:26, David Yaghoubian wrote:

> Having grown up in/on/with my squareback and been the one who finally made
> the decision (sometime around 1984) to discard the cracked, oil-stained
> rear cargo mat, I was pleased to see on ebay that ISP was offering new,
> albeit pricey (like $150) repros. Long story short, I bought one and was
> pleasantly surprised by the high quality and exact fit. The only slight
> problem IMHO is the rubber lip that slips down into the groove at the rear
> of the engine lid is too wide, so it tends to stick up a bit when seated. I
> could cut it down with a razor, but it's so pretty I hate to put it under
> the knife so soon.

I've never seen one of these, but I CAN tell you that the OE ones do pretty
much the same thing. IIRC that piece is L-shaped and glued to the underside of
the mat. I think it may actually be the horizontal part of the L that is the
problem, just because it tends to sit flat on top of the engine cover, but I'm
not sure of this.

I could do some measurements on mine for comparison if you like.

It always seemed to me that the mat would have been better if the horizontal
leg of the L faced to the rear, rather than to the front, just because the
engine lid tends to sit a bit higher than the floor around it, but I probably
need to take a fresh look at all this to refresh my memory.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org