[T3] OT: Timing/dwell relationship and Pertronix

<x-flowed>Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the (mathematical?) relationship between timing and dwell. Meaning, if dwell is reduced, does the timing advance or retard? What the heck is "dwell" anyway? I did an archive search but nothing came up (which means the archive/search tool might be broken, as this is a pretty basic search term!)

Anyway, while I've always been curious about the timing/dwell relationship, the specific reason that I am asking is that I loved the Pertronix unit I got for my Squareback so much that I decided to get one for my '65 Cadillac. Well, the stock dwell setting for the caddy has always been 30, but the Pertronix unit that is supposed to work with this Caddy engine (429 V-8) is factory set at 28. Do I need to advance or retard the timing to compensate for this? Will this lower dwell setting harm the engine in the long run?

Thanks for humoring a Cadillac-related question on our listserv (assuming I am not ostracized for such blasphemy! ;)

Dave Y.
68 Square
65 CDV Convertible