Fwd: [T3] Snow in PDX

<x-flowed>> On Jan 10, 2004, at 7:57 PM, Steven Ayres wrote:

DaveH=> We have to accept that we're
=> very much reliant for our safety on the
=> secondary features such as defensive,
=> considerate driving and lots of anticipation

I heard a news report last week, I think, detailing how many of the features
most people think of as making their cars safer really don't. The bottom
line is that the safest cars are light and nimble with good brakes. I think
my 34 meets those criteria pretty well, and I think any Type 3 with a well
maintained suspension is eminently competitive in that area. Snow driving is
just one prominent example.

Oops! Meant for this to go to the List. Sorry you will get it twice Steven.

Just can't agree with this. A light nimble car with good brakes might give a good driver the best chance of avoiding an accident. I could agree with this, but it is not the safest if you get in an accident. For one thing, good brakes don't do you any good once you are in an accident. The airbags and seatbelts, the vastly superior energy absorbing body structures, fuel tanks, seats, energy absorbing interior trim, people friendly surfaces, and such of modern cars make them far better equipped to protect a driver/passenger in the event of an accident then anything in a Type 3.

As for anything from the 60s and early 70s being competitive from a handling standpoint with a modern car...just don't see it, especially for the average driver. Our Type 3s probably have a significant disadvantage in this category because of the significant rear weight bias. And the 165R15 tires don't help it much either. I have no doubt that the you reach the handling limit of the Type 3 way before just about any modern grocery getter.

If I am going to be in any kind of accident, I would rather be in a 2000+ anything than my Type 3. And not because i don't want to see my Sophy destroyed. <G>

Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'71 Fasty (Jane - darkside project in waiting)
various parts.....don't we all.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/2004Invasion/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/notavwclub/