Re: [T3] Snow in PDX

DaveH=> We have to accept that we're
=> very much reliant for our safety on the
=> secondary features such as defensive,
=> considerate driving and lots of anticipation

I heard a news report last week, I think, detailing how many of the features
most people think of as making their cars safer really don't. The bottom
line is that the safest cars are light and nimble with good brakes.  I think
my 34 meets those criteria pretty well, and I think any Type 3 with a well
maintained suspension is eminently competitive in that area. Snow driving is
just one prominent example.

By the way, I did that winter trip back East a few years ago on Michelin
XZXs, and the margins of many of the routes I traveled were littered with
vehicles. Good tires matter, of course, and I wouldn't have minded having
snow tires for that, but experience matters more, I think. Somday maybe I'll
tell the story of driving the entire state of Indiana north to south on
glare ice in a '65 Skylark beater with dead-bald tires.

=> I wonder if the lack of older cars says more
=> about greater affluence now

Around here it seems to be more about *less* affluence now, as real income
continues to slowly fall and the cost of maintaining older cars steadily
rises. Kids used to get into VWs because they were cheap. Not anymore, not
around here.

It might be different if there were more cars from the '70s and '80s worth
saving. I expect the current crop of plastic pods won't last much beyond
their obsolescence horizons, as most are essentially unrepairable and so
many components just too specialized.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600