Re: [T3] Snow in PDX

> Cars are also not being made to last as long, so we don't see as many 15
year
> old cars on the road either.

Probably not a bad thing as there have been significant improvements in
personal safety both in the vehicle and out.  We have to accept that we're
very much reliant for our safety on the secondary features such as
defensive, considerate driving and lots of anticipation to make up for the
lack of acceleration, power brakes and straight-line stability, plus the
greater crumpling of other vehicles we may come into contact with.  It's
surprising how well we and our cars survive isn't it?

I wonder if the lack of older cars says more about greater affluence now,
with less incentive to repair with rising labour costs and falling
manufacturing costs.  I wonder how many of us would choose to afford to run
our Type 3s if we had to pay someone else to maintain them.

Dave Hall.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
www.hallvw.clara.co.uk
-------