Re: [T3] Snow in PDX

On 10 Jan 2004 at 10:36, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> >Cars are also not being made to last as long, so we don't see as many 15
> >year old cars on the road either.
>
> I have to agree with Brian on this. The auto makers are pushing 100,000 miles
> before tune ups, 7 to 10 year or 70,000 to 100,000 miles before outerbody
> rust thru, and things like that.

This is all true, but I but I don't think that it's fair to assume that just
because tune-up intervals have gone way up that you can assume that other
things have also improved likewise.

A 100k tuneup schedule most likely means that most of these cars will never
live to see (or need) a tuneup. Almost everything on a car can be fixed or
replaced, except for rust damage. Well, certainly you can fix rust damage, but
it really never is the same again, nor will it be as durable as the original,
unless you can simply replace the rusted part with a brand new one.

Brian is just lucky to live in one of those areas where rust is a minimal
problem. I suspect that in his area a car body might be expected to last 50
years at one time. Now it might just be down to 30.

Perhaps I should just move out there to retire.  :-)