Re: [T3] Generator Eating Brush

On 6 Jan 2004 at 16:52, Garret Trask wrote:

> On saturday, I replaced the brushes in my generator

I'm at a loss to explain your observations. I don't know why one brush would
wear much faster than the other, unless there was something wrong with a
particular brush holder or its spring. I think its unlikely that the spring is
too strong, unless it was replaced by someone with a spring from something
else. You might try to figure out a way to measure the spring tension, or even
just inspect the two springs and the way they are each mounted.

Make sure that both brushes can slide freely in the brush holders. I've seen
those bent so that they were tight on the brushes.

> After putting in the new brushes and re-installing the generator, the
> generator still didn't work.  I saw that the commutator was kind of messy
> (dull, with some black marks on it) so I sanded it, and it started working.

The dull grey sounds pretty normal, but the black shouldn't be there unless it
was just dirt blown in with the cooling air. I should revise the FAQ to advise
people NOT to sand the commutator. There is some advise that suggests that
sanding with the wrong stuff will tend to leave behind bits of abrasive
embedded in the copper which will then eat away at the brushes, but that should
eat away at BOTH brushes equally....

If you even figure out what the problem is, you should let us all know.