Re: [T3] My Type 34 weekend

<x-flowed>
I finally got around to putting the driveshafts back in.

Gee, I don't find it all that difficult.

It wasn't "difficult", just unpleasant.

Yes, there's a lot of it and it should be black from the molybdenum disulfide in it. I hope you didn't pack the boots FULL, or the boots may break, make a mess, and you'll get to do this all over again.

No. The grease came in little bags, each one enough for one CV joint (90ml). I packed as much as I could into the joints (from both sides) and just wiped off whatever was left over into the boot. This is how Muir says to do it, and none of the other manuals go into any details other than "pack the CV joints with grease".

But the biggest nightmare was putting them in. Trying to line up the first bolt with the hole ...

Yes, it's a bit trying getting the first bolt started in each flange, but then I just go ahead and install all of them hand tight, and then get a friend to sit in the car and depress the brake pedal while I torque them. That way you can torque, release, rotate, repeat....

That's more or less what I did. I did each bolt up in turn with a small ratchet, and then when both ends were secure, I tightened them up with the torque wrench. I had to do it all on my own. My original over-optimistic idea was that my friend who came over last week to help change the engine mounts would have time to do this too, but of course everything takes twice as long as you expect it too. BTW, I think changing the engine mounts on my own would have been impossible.

Also yesterday, I realised (with the help of a friend who turned up unexpectedly) that my engine is only running on three cylinders. So I've got something to do next weekend after all...

That's odd. Do you think it's been this way all along?

I've no idea. I suspect a fouled plug. I'll do a full tune-up when I have time and hopefully find out what's going on. The carbs were running very rich before I sorted them out, so there could be a lot of soot in there.

Daniel