Re: [T3] Side line rant about neighbors

JohnB=> I am told that they (the city) can now tow a
=> vehicle off of my private property.

This sort of thing has been spreading slowly but steadily among
municipalities over the last ten years or so, beating the old 'preserve my
property value' mule as an excuse for forcing conformance to the (usually)
suburban Cleaver-family ideal. All I can say is that this is one of many
reasons to pay attention to what's happening at your local city or county
hall and statehouse, and to get and stay involved. I work with city and
state officials pretty regularly here, and I can say with confidence that
wherever you are, most of the people in those jobs are sensitive to what you
have to say and will respond. But if only one side of an issue is paying
attention, what are they gonna do?

Another factor is how you handle your own property and treat your neighbors.
City code here allows not more than one non-running vehicle per property,
and it must be off-street. Of the seven vehicles on my little town lot,
three are inoperable and one moves only rarely. But except for the parts Bus
that'll be off to junkland soon, I keep them under covers in the back, the
weeds trimmed, the parts put away, and generally pay attention to my impact
on the neighborhood. Most municipal code inspection divisions are purely
complaint-driven, and that's true here as well. As long as there are no
complaints, I know nobody will hassle me.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Grosse Karmann