Re: [T3] Muir - Beware

On 27 Feb 2004 at 13:31, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I've just found a mistake and a piece of nonsense in Muir:
>
> In the chapter on CV joints, p. 225 he says: "Start the CV on the
> driveshaft so that the groove on the body of the CV faces in towards the
> driveshaft." This is backwards; the grove fits into the flange on the
> stub-axle and the tranny so must face outwards. See Bentley fig 3-19.

You're exactly right. There is a chamfer in the spline entrance on one side,
which needs to face the driveshaft, and a groove on the outside, which needs to
face the flange.

> Also, on the next page he says: "don't jack the car up any further than
> you have to to get under it and work as it makes the angle of the CVs
> more extreme. The wheels have to be free to move however."
>
> Huh? In other words the wheels have to be off the ground. Once the
> wheels are off the ground the angle of the CV joints won't get any more
> extreme, IMHO.

;-)

Right again!

I've never recommended the Muir book for its accuracy. It's much better if just
appreciated for its karma. OTOH, there are even mistakes in the Bentley, but
not many. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those mistakes came right out of
the VW factory literature.