RE: [T3] FI for Carbs

On 27 Feb 2004 at 7:29, Schlegel, Richard wrote:

> Now I am totally confused. I feel like I was just beat up by the FI
> coalition of America :-)

Sorry about that.  ;-)

It's just that we get this question a lot, and it's very seldom been well
researched. There's a lot of experience here on this list with both carbs and
FI. Each has its advantages and advocates, but for a daily driver for your
daughter I think the OE FI is the clear winner.

A lot of this depends on what you want. The 009 just isn't the same as it was
years ago, and the FI dist has a VERY good advance curve. There's no reason to
replace it. I'm sure that you can get more performance out of carbs, but not
all that much unless you also increase the displacement. You also suffer the
costs of poor gas mileage and emissions, plus increased engine wear due to
excess gas washing the lubrication off the cylinder walls. These things are
accepted by most of the racer types, but you need to ask yourself if your
daughter would prefer a 24 mpg car or a 16 mpg car. Is she environmentally
conscious or not?

> I know I have been out of the VW scene for a while but this goes against
> everything I remember.
> Stock dist is better than the 009 dist? Stock coil better than Blue
> coil? The stock FI is the best performing set up? Maybe SoCal is
> different than the rest of the country. All you see out here (at shows
> and cruises) are dual carbs. All you hear is FI is junk. 009 dist as far
> as the eye can see!

Dual carbs are sexy. Who would want to just leave their car alone and just have
it run when you can "fix it up?"  Who would dream that you could soup up your
car and end up with it running just a bit worse than it used to? Few people
will show you their handiwork and then explain what happened to the gas
mileage, emissions, drivability, and performance after they did their work.
Most will never mention the drawbacks. It's just human nature to not even be
able to notice the downsides of the choices we make.

> We haven't changed anything yet so is the 20% re-stocking charge worth
> returning everything? Thanks for all the advise!

It's possible, or you might be able to resell it at full price here, to someone
who was planning a much more aggressive upgrade where the FI would no longer be
adequate.

To start, tell us what is wrong with your FI right now. Once we have an idea of
the problem you will get an idea of how much it might cost to get it running
nicely again. And, yes, once the FI is running properly, your '70 will run VERY
nicely.

You can start by cutting off the crimp ferrules from the injectors and clamping
good hose on there. You can cut the ferrules with a hacksaw or grind thru them,
BUT you must stop when you hit the rubber underneath. You want to avoid cutting
into the nipple under the rubber. Once you have one off you can see exactly
what you are up against. It takes me about 2 minutes to remove an old hose
stub; your first one will probably take you 10. Take your time and you won't
hurt anything. If you damage it, I may be able to fix it for you.

Yes, it's also possible that the FI on your car is beyond repair. BUT, if it
runs at all, this is highly unlikely. If it runs now, then repairs might be as
much as $100, but you can probably do most of them yourself and end up with a
nice car that you understand and that we can ALL be proud of.

Let us help. That's why we're all here.

And, oh yeah, welcome to the type 3 email list.   ;-)