Re: [T3] FI for Carbs

<x-flowed> we
can't hardly agree on much, right Steven, Keith, Daniel, and the rest of us? Just some observations from being on this list for over 4 years.

I'm actually not such a great carb fan. However I don't know much about the FI system because almost all the Type 3s that I've seen have had stock carbs. Firstly, the Type 34 was never produced with FI, and so it is irrelevant to my own car and to most of the cars that I have seen/driven/know best. Also, as far as I know, FI Type 3s were never imported here on a regular basis so any that are here are either special orders or personal imports. I have actually only seen one FI Type 3 over here - a museum-standard 1973 fastback. The 411/412 was imported with FI - I know of one car that is apparently still roadworthy, and another person who used to own one.

As for my experience with carbs, I think it helps to be a voodoo witch doctor to be able to tune them properly. It took me months to get them going acceptably. Also, there are lots of little pieces inside a carb, if any one of them is slightly worn, the whole system won't work by the book. I spent ages rebuilding my carbs over and over again with better parts until I could tune them properly. The linkages also have to be in top condition otherwise the whole system will be screwed up. Once I had everything put together properly I found I could follow the instructions in the manual and tune them properly. I still have a minor problem with the chokes which affects idling performance while warming up, but I can live with it for now.

Fuel hose is a pain. I had a very bad experience with "braided German hose" and I can only recommend you don't buy it. I bought some proper FI hose last week and have changed most of my hoses again. Over here it was about $3 per metre. Normal cars don't have to have their fuel hoses changed every five minutes and therefore I suppose that if we use the same hose that modern cars use then we won't have to either.

Basically though, I believe in returning the cars to as close to stock condition as possible, so I would leave the FI on a stock FI car, given the choice.

Daniel Baum, 1969 Type 34 automatic.