Re: [T3] More New Members

On 27 Feb 2004 at 15:37, Petri O. Calderon Larjanko wrote:

> >> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
> >
> >> cars 25 yrs (or is it 27?) old and older are exempt in Ca.
> >
> > Okay, thanks.
> >
> > Are you sure that this means that you are completely free to modify them? I
> > was
> > under the impression that they might not have to meet the emissions specs, but
> > that they were still required to have all the original emissions gear (which
> > includes carbs, FI, etc.)
> >
> > I'd be happy to be brought up to date on this, as it affects a lot of our
> > listees.
>
> http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm

This appears to be a good, official reference. Here's what the first paragraph
says:

"All 30 and older model-year vehicles are exempt from all aspects of the Smog
Check program, but owners of these vehicles are required by law to keep their
emissions systems intact. Vehicles built in 1975 for the 1976 model-year are
1976 vehicles and must be tested accordingly."

Since one of the main reasons for our switch from carbs to FI in '68 was for
emissions purposes, I think it would be hard to claim that the FI was not part
of the emissions system.

In other words, you don't have to pass a tailpipe emissions test, but it looks
like you still have to pass the visual test.