[T3] fuel injectors...

I'm having a problem with my fuel injectors on my 1972 Squareback.  I noticed
an excessive gas leak coming from cylinders 1 and 2 when I started my car up
today (it has sat for a little while, but it has been started a few times this
year).  I looked and noticed a ton of gas leaking from around the fuel
injectors (including a puddle on the ground).  I pulled them off and was going
to replace the hose, figuring that the cheap US hose was just rotten again.

But when the leak was occurring, it didn't seem as though it was leaking from
around the hose, so once I put new hoses on both side, I put each in a small
glass jar to check the flow.

When I turn my key to the first click, so that I hear the pump running, after
about half a second I see gas leaking from the actual injector housing on BOTH
of them.  This problem seems very odd as I hear that fuel injectors usually
only cause problems when they get gummed up or have a fouled up spray pattern.
When I turned to the first click, the fuel injector wires weren't even hooked
up, it's as if they couldn't handle the 28 psi on the lines without leaking
between where the black plastic and the yellow plastic meet.

When I hooked the wires up and cranked the engine over a few times, it was
leaking so bad from the housing I couldn't even observe a spray pattern because
the runoff was fouling up the spray.

I'm posting to the group to see if anybody has heard of this problem before,
gas leaking from the injector housing, and if so what should I do to fix it.
After calling parts places all morning trying to find one, it'll be at least
monday before I can get 2.  (the VW dealership laughed at me and said they
didn't make FI cars in 1972).  I figure whatever is wrong I'll need 2 more.

Thanks,

Jacob Schroeder
'72 Squareback