RE: [T3] AT Kick-Down Adjustment

On 20 Feb 2004 at 10:04, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> >VM setting
>
> I noticed when adjusting that I had about 3 drops of
> gas spill out of the vacuum hose when I took it off.
>
> I adjused the VM, drove the car a few miles, shut
> it off and took the hose off and again had 3-4 drops
> of gas spill out. This never happened previously.
> What does it mean?

If it's clear or black, then it's water, oil, or gas vapor which has condensed
in the tube, which is cooler than the engine. This is unimportant.

If it's red then it's ATF, which has been sucked thru the diaphram in the VM.
VMs fail when the diaphram leaks. A small leak is probably unimportant, but if
it gets larger you'll suck ATF into the engine and burn it up, depleting the
ATF in your AT.

Keep an eye on the ATF level in your AT. If you start to notice it going down
check the hose again. If it's full of red fluid you have a bad VM, but if you
just get a couple of spoonfulls of dirty liquid then it's probably no problem.

If you start to notice that you're leaving a consistent smoke trail you should
check this again.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org